Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Palmyra (Just a note -- we don't have a good wifi connection so we will load the pics when we get home!!! Or to another location!!!)

May 29, 30 Palmyra was really great. We were able to see the beginning of such a wonderful blessing: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We started off by going thru a session at the Palmyra Temple. The workers there are called to a six month temple assignment. They were all so nice to talk to and very cordial. The temple was a neat experience because it overlooked the Smith Farm and the Sacred Grove. There was a definate feeling of the House of the Lord being on Holy Ground. We were able to go to a session and soak in the spirit in the Celestial Room. It was a small temple but one with a strong spirit. We then were able to go to the Smith Farm and see their homes; again, I wasn’t able to go into the log home (which was expected) where Joseph had seen the angel Moroni many times. But the grounds outside were a Holy place as well. We then went to the permanent home of the Smith Family and learn more how they ran their farm.

This was the place where Joseph hid the gold plates many times while trying to keep them out of the hands of the mobs. It was neat to see the craftsmanship of Alvin (Joseph’s older brother) who had built the home so him mother and father could live out their old age in comfort. We then were able to go to the Sacred Grove and enjoy the peace and quiet of the wind whispering thru the trees. I never realized how big the grove was, but the entire place was holy spot. I was in the same place where Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ had visited the young prophet and I could definitely feel the presence of the Holy Ghost. What a remarkable experience Joseph Smith had and I was there in the exact same spot.

After the Sacred Grove we went to the E. B. Grandin Publishing office where the first 5000 copies of the Book of Mormon had been printed. The missionaries there showed us what it would be like for the Book of Mormon to be published in 1830. The Book of Mormon is so special and I know it is true. I am grateful for those that sacrifice so much so that we have it readily available to read in our homes.

We then circled back around to the Hill Cumorah and went up the back side of the hill and saw where the plates had been buried. Again, what a special experience it was to see where the Angel Moroni visited the young Prophet and where Joseph Smith dug up the plates. I never realized how steep and how difficult it would have been for him to escape those who were after him. I thought about having my parents’ take me out of my chair and log-roll me down to the bottom.

We didn’t!!! The next morning we went to the Peter Whitmer Farm and saw where the Church was organized and the Book of Mormon translated. The missionary there asked me and another return missionary, that was visiting, to bear our testimonies in the language of our missions (Tagolog and Madagascan). I was grateful to bear my testimony, out loud and in Tagolog, at the door steps where the church had begun 179 years ago. That was a neat experience. It is an amazing thing to be able to look back and see what six men started with the Lord’s help, the Standard of Truth has been erected.

One thing I never realized was how far apart these places are from each other. I always thought they were a stone’s throw from one another, but it would have taken Joseph and others more than a half days walk in some cases to go between sites. Palmyra and the surrounding places have definitely taken me to a better understating and a stronger testimony for all that had transpired there. Now on to Kirtland.

3 comments:

  1. That is so awesome. THANK YOU for NOT rolling down the hill! How cool to do all of that and be in those places. We are blessed to live in this time when the church is more established and we have resources at our fingertips. Wish we could be there!! LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ryan!! I could really feel the Spirit strongly as I read about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan, thank you for writing!! I love reading all about your trip. What a great blessing to be able to be in those Holy places. Wish I could be there with you guys!
    lv you
    Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete